Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Splitting hairs, er, wood

Once you have cut your firewood, you still have to split it. If you have to do this by hand, with a maul, as I have done many times in the past, this is no mean feat. It is a lot of work to split with a maul. Fortunately, as previously posted (try searching for the "splitter" label) my ever-loving children gave my an electric splitter for my birthday. A supremely useful gift. It is all a question of age. I can swing a maul and so can my son. But it is a lot of work! It is much easier to load the wood chunks into the Darthcartt and push them over to the splitteria.
John is loading up logs into the Darthcatt, prior to splitting. It is but a few meters to the splitter.
Then you stack it in the woodshed and that's it. It is still a workout, but not as bad as it could be. I am eternally grateful to John for doing this task. We have really left it late, and John is working on a load of wood that I actually bought as a pis aller -- worst case -- when I thought we couldn't do the woodshed and the wood after a month or more of illness. However, I think that wood is like gold. The more wood in the woodshed, the more independent you are of the price of oil, the absurd vagaries of politicians, and the world in general. I have cut at least as much wood as I bought, and that is a great comfort. The woodstove has been paid off -- it was paid off last year, in fact -- and the only trouble with it is, you tend to fall asleep in front of the wood fire. That's a lot more than you can say about your oil or gas furnace. To say nothing about electric.

No comments:

Post a Comment