Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Time flies while you tie flies

An absorbing way of waiting for the snow to melt is to tie some trout flies. So I went upstairs and fished up, so to speak, my fly-tying gear. I haven't done this for quite some time, so I was a tad clumsy at first, and even at second. However, we began to get some results eventually.
The little bench I built in Juneau holds most of my tools while I tie. You can see the vise on the right (I'm left-handed), the bobbin and assorted scissors, clips, and other strange devices. Not shown is the enormous collection of stuff you need to do a fly, all with exotic names -- dubbing, hackles, marabou feathers, peacock ditto, strange furs, dubbing, ad infinitum. Not to mention hooks in various sizes. And of course a book or two with the recipe for the fly. I have a very nice book, written for beginners like me, with lots of pictures; it's Skip Morris's Fly Tying Made Clear and Simple.

All in all, a pleasant way to spend your afternoon. And it reminds you that sooner or later the lakes will melt, and I can go fishing. I'll do some more on the subject, but just a little worn out right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment